Thursday, July 12, 2012

Creative pain relief

In addition to transplanting the mattress and going to the chiropractor, here are a few other things I've been doing to alleviate my body's misery:

I found this at Target for 15 bucks. Looks like a dog toy, meant for working out (ha), but actually very handy for being comfortably sedentary. Comes with its own pump and can inflated to your liking and shoved behind the back or butt while driving, sitting or leaning on stuff. Great at filling "that empty space" in annoying chairs. Also fits well behind or in the crook of the neck. It's got a rubbery grip to it, but I don't find it terribly uncomfortable if it touches my skin.



The weight of my growing belly now leaves the top-side of my belly achy from stretching after a few hours of sleep without proper cushioning. So next, this is what I have historically called my "bean" pillow (I think the why is pretty obvious.) It's tempurpedic, and has great structure, so much so that I stopped using it for my head and neck months ago. It is, however, a fantastic belly wedge!

Here's what it sort of looks like in use, for scaling reference:
It's tapered, so it's great for a wedge, and also firmer than most wedges I've seen. I'm also not worried about it getting matted down as I continue to use it and get heavier. Also, because of its size, I get some support for my hip and chest as well, depending on how severely I'm spooning it that night. Because of the level support I get in the front with this, I can keep my back from twisting and getting more uncomfortable throughout the night. Fab-oo!

Next, we have a Gabrialla Maternity mini support belt. I'm modeling it over my dress so you can see where it goes, but it's usually discreetly worn under anything you want. It puts a bit of good-feeling pressure on your low back, and lifts your belly a bit to take bad-feeling pressure off of your low back.
Honestly, jury is still out on this one. New York was a horrible, extreme litmus test for this thing, and I'm not quite back to a point where I can tell if it really helps or not. I will say that it makes a lot more sense for when I'm standing and walking. When I sit, it can roll a bit (though the band itself stays in place), and puts a lot of pressure on my bladder. Also, if the baby moves while I'm sitting, it feels kind of intense--like I trapped him there with a giant rubber band, and he's working on his underwater Houdini act.

They have way more elaborate belly harnesses than this all over Amazon, but I figured I'd try this one first. It was also about 15 bucks. The competing band only had three sets of eye-hook fixtures on it, and this had velcro, which is better for all those in-betweens. I got a large, which fits, but it may not for long. The underside of my belly around my back measured about 40 inches when I bought it, and I'm already at the end of the velcro patch.

Lastly, I'm proud to say that I found a new purpose for my rolling cooler:


The path to our door is long, and pushing (NOT PULLING) this thing to and from the car was a LOT nicer than making more trips putting more weight on my back and legs.

Pain creates a necessity to find relief; necessity is the mother of all invention. I may just hatch a million-dollar idea by the time I hatch this kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment