Saturday, February 11, 2012

The Business of Birthing

After a day of largely reading, relaxing and doing beau coups laundry, Frank and I had a nice sit-down with some turkey burgers [and pickles]. Upon a request for some "cuddle-movie time", I suggested that we "watch some crazy baby documentary".


As usual, Netflix tends to disappoint with it's ready-to-watch films, but we manage to add a couple interesting ones to the DVD queue, and then settle upon a movie called "The Business of Birthing". It features Ricki Lake, and largely advocates for the removal of crackpot-witch-psycho-hippie labeling of midwives as mediators to the [physical] baby within. Secondarily, it paints a picture of hospitals rushing moms with indoor baggage in, and moms with external baggage out, without necessarily respecting their birth plans (specifically those whose plans involved things happening naturally).


There are certainly some interesting stats thrown in there--most notably are 1)That people in the United States spend at least twice as much per pregnancy on care than pretty much all other countries, and 2)That the United States has the highest infant mortality rate of ANY DEVELOPED COUNTRY. That is freaky--I don't care if you're a hippie or not.


It certainly calls birth options into question...but before anyone berates me with threats over not being in a hospital to deliver my kid, let me be clear that this train of thought has just now only not rejected the midwife/home birth idea, and we are not ever planning on doing anything not medically sound and safe. YOU GOTTA KEEP YOUR COMPOSURE. YOU CAN'T BE FREAKIN' OUT.


I would like to be able (at least try) to soldier out my labor without being pressured into a C-section, or having pitocin make contractions for me. That's all I know.


Bringing things back to today--feeling good, not sick or anything, but quite tired despite keeping things pretty low key. I took a nice walk, but nothing to warrant curling up on the couch and watching You've Got Mail to recover (which may or may not have happened).


In other baby research news: rutabagas and lentils were purchased today on behalf of my unborn. What To Expect (which I am 16% through according to Kindle) put them amongst others on a list of good pregnancy foods. We'll see if they become a craving or an aversion.


LAST BUT NOT LEAST my mom is the most adorable, wonderful lady on the whole planet! She sent Frank and I the cutest Valentines Day package (arrived today), including Sweet Tarts Hearts (yesss), a Peanuts greeting card, pink and red tissue paper, pictures of Dani and I passed out on the couch at Christmas (family tradition), and these :) Love you Mom <3





No comments:

Post a Comment